The UF/IFAS Department of Animal Sciences operates a horse teaching unit. This 65 acre farm was developed to teach the Equine student many aspects of the industry with hands-on practicality. The wide range of experience, includes breeding, training, marketing, farm management and health care. This site also serves as a location for Extension functions such as judging contests and horsemanship clinics.
Horse Teaching Unit Facilities
- 120' x 300' Outdoor Arena
- Reproduction barn/laboratory with three palpation chutes, collection phantom, two stalls and bleachers.
- T-barn with twelve stalls and offices
- Mare and foal feeding barn with ten stalls.
- Housing for six student employees.
- Hay storage barn.
- Equipment storage barn.
- Three one acre stallion paddocks.
- Forty acres of bermuda and bahia pasture.
- Five round pens.
- Horse walker
Horses and the Annual Performance Horse Sale
The unit maintains a primarily Quarter Horse-based teaching herd numbering around 45 head. Offspring from this herd are trained by the students, and sold in the Sealed Bid Sale held each spring. Occasional fillies are kept as replacements. The farm also stands two Quarter Horse stallions that are bred to UF and outside mares. All income generated through the sale of horses or stallion services is utilized by the farm for maintenance and improvements.
- Horses for Sale (Please check back for information regarding the 2016 Performance Horse Sale).
Courses Offered at the HTU
Additional Information for Prospective and Ongoing Students in the Department of Animal Sciences
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Undergraduate Scholarships
- Undergraduate Courses and Degree Specializations
- Graduate Admissions
- Graduate Program
1934 SW 63rd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608
7:00am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday (Visitors welcome by appointment only)