State 4-H/FFA Horse Judging Contest
April 1, 2017
UF HTU, Gainesville
The 2017 State 4-H/FFA Horse Judging Contest will be held April 1 at the covered arena of the UF Horse Teaching Unit in Gainesville. Check-in for 4-H is at 9:00 a.m. and everyone should be seated in the stands and ready to begin by 9:30. Awards will be presented at roughly 4:30 p.m. that afternoon. The contest will consist of 6-8 placing classes – up to four halter and four performance. Reasons will be given on four of the classes and there will be no questions classes. When reasons are completed and after the discussion of the classes, there will be an opportunity for everyone to relax, listen to music, and socialize before the awards presentations. Awards will be presented to the top individuals and teams in halter, performance, and reasons as well as to the highest individuals and teams overall.
Each county may enter two senior teams (14 and over as of September 1, 2016) of three or four members. Registration is required by March 24. The winning team is eligible to compete at the National 4-H Horse Judging Contest in Louisville, KY (November). The first and second place team may compete at Southern Regionals in Perry, GA.
An entry fee of $25 per team is required at registration. Checks should be written to "Florida 4-H Foundation". Contestants and one coach per team will be provided lunch, and additional adults may purchase lunch tickets at $5 each. Please indicate on the entry form how many additional adults would like to have lunch and include their $5 with the entry fee. Registered counties will be listed here so you can check to confirm that your entry has been received.
- Must be Senior 4-H members (14 or older at beginning of 4-H year) and approved to represent the county at a State 4-H event by the County 4-H Agent.
- Must not have been members of previous state-winning 4-H teams in Horse Judging.
- Must not have been members of previous state-winning FFA teams in Horse Judging.
- Must not have participated in the National 4-H or FFA contest in Horse Judging.
- Rare exceptions may be made on a case by case basis with the Specialist in charge of the State contest.
To help plan/prepare
A copy of the judging card can be found here. Please be sure that your team members are familiar with the card and know how to fill it out correctly. Cards filled out incorrectly may be discarded and zero scores awarded. To help everyone be familiar with the cards, a section of this website gives examples and explanations on filling out the card correctly.
There are plenty of motels in the area. Any of the motels on the Archer Road exit, Williston Road exit, or South 13th Street would be convenient.
- Arabian, Quarter Horse (or mixed Stock Type)
- Tennessee Walkers
- Paso Fino
- Draft Horses
- Western Pleasure
- Hunter Hack
- Hunter Under Saddle
- Hunt Seat Equitation
- Western Riding
- Western Horsemanship
- English Pleasure (Saddle Seat)
- Plantation Pleasure
- Ranch Pleasure (Ranch Riding)
- Pleasure Driving
Previous State 4-H Horse Judging Results:
- Back to Youth / 4-H Programs