Auction Opens: April 22, 2023 at 1:00 PM
Auction Closes: April 29 at 4:00 PM
A SOFT CLOSE bidding system will be used. Bidding will begin to close April 29, 2023 at 4:00 PM (EST). If any bids are received within the last 5 minutes of the sale close, an additional 5 minutes will be added to entire sale. Only after a 5-minute period with no additional bidding passes will the bidding on all horses close. A bidder may place individual bids. Alternatively, a Bidder may place maximum (proxy) bids where they declare the maximum dollar amount they want to bid, and the computer will bid on their behalf until they have successfully purchased the horse or the asking price exceeds the amount of their maximum bid.
2023 Sale in the Swamp will be held online in partnership with Affinity Auction Group.
Save the date for the 2023 Sale in the Swamp!
We have a great group of prospects this year including a hunter by The Mile High Club and IE Reason, pleasure prospects by Best Brew At the Bar, Elvis on Impulse, Good To The Max, The Best Martini, Certain Potential, and VS Code Red. We also have cow horse prospects by Natural Bottom, Jesses Topaz, Jasons Peptolena, and Quahadi.
- The sale will be an online auction beginning Saturday, April 22nd and closing on Saturday, April 29th.
- Please join us for an in-person preview day scheduled for Saturday, April 22nd at the Horse Teaching Unit in Gainesville.
- If you will be unable to attend the preview day, appointments can be made to view sale horses starting March 20th by contacting Angela Chanlder at 352-376-0562. Find more information about how to visit our sale horses below.
The sale catalog to view photos and videos of the sale horses will be available in early April!
- Contact Us
When to View the 2023 Sale Horses
Sale Horse Preview Day
Saturday, April 22nd, from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. No appointment necessary, all sale horses will be available to view. Online sale starts at 3:00 p.m.
Appointments to View 2023 Sale in The Swamp Horses
- Appointments will be available between March 20 and April 21, 2023.
- Interested individuals may schedule an appointment by calling the HTU Farm Manager Angela Chandler at 334-740-2628
- Appointments will take place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday during class from 3 to 5 PM.
Location and Address:
University of Florida
Horse Teaching Unit
1934 SW 63rd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608
May be requested if available.
Sale Results - Previous Years
Sale in the Swamp Sale Statistics
Sale Year Number Horses Sold Sale Average Sale Range 2015 15 $2,550 $1,600 - $4,050 2016 14 $3,450 $1,900 - $8,400 2017 16 $3,525 $1,850 - $8,100 2018 14 $4,020 $2,000 - $5,750 2019 14 $4,770 $1,800 - $7,600 2020 16 $6,630 $3,500 - $10,050 2021 13 $7,963 $3,550 - $15,050 2022 16 $12,129 $8,000 - $30,100
About Sale in the Swamp
The University of Florida Equine Program produces its annual 2 year old performance horse sale each spring. A capstone project that brings together years of hard work for many of our students, donors, alumni, and staff that demonstrates our programs commitment to education and production. Many of our graduating seniors have had the opportunity to follow these young horses through the various courses offered as part of the Equine Sciences Program. Our young horses are handled rountinely through our practicum courses such as...
- Weanling Handling
- and Psychology and Training
The program breeds, trains, and sells 16 - 20 head each year in this sale. Our students are involved each step of the way with the sale proceeds returning to the program helping us achieve an outstanding teaching, research, and extension program.