April 9, 2022 - UF HTU, Gainesville
Registration on 4Honline by April 1
The 2022 State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest will be held April 9 at the covered arena of the UF Horse Teaching Unit in Gainesville. Check-in for 4-H is at 8:30 a.m. and everyone should be seated in the stands and ready to begin by 9:15. Awards will be presented at roughly 4:00 p.m. that afternoon after discussion of the classes. The contest will consist of 8-10 placing classes, plus a keep-cull class (team activity), and potentially feeder cattle evaluation. Questions will be asked on one or more of the placings classes, and oral reasons will be given on 2 to 4 classes (any specie).
Awards will be presented to the top individuals and teams in beef, swine, evaluation/selection, and questions/reasons as well as the highest individuals and teams overall. The winning team is eligible to compete at the National 4-H Livestock Judging Contest in Louisville, KY (November). The second place team may compete at the Western Nationals in Denver, CO (January). And the third place team qualifies for the American Royal in Kansas City, MO (October).
Each county may enter one senior team (14 and over as of September 1, 2021) of three or four members. Registration on 4Honline is required by April 1.
An entry fee of $25 per team is required with registration. Checks should be written to "Florida 4-H Foundation". Contestants and one coach per team will be provided with a mid-morning snack and lunch. Additional adults may purchase lunch tickets at $5 each. Please indicate on the entry form how many additional adults would like to have lunch and include their $5 with the entry fee.
- Must be Senior 4-H members (14 or older at beginning of 4-H year) and approved to represent the county at a State event by the County 4-H Agent.
- Must not have been members of previous state-winning 4-H teams in Livestock Judging.
- Must not have participated in the National 4-H contest in Livestock Judging.
- Rare exceptions may be made on a case by case basis with the Specialist in charge of the State contest.
To help plan/prepare
There are plenty of motels in the area. Any of the motels on the Archer Road exit, Williston Road exit, or South 13th Street would be convenient.
Typical classes include:
- 4 or 5 market classes (beef, swine, lamb, and/or goats)
- 4 or 5 breeding classes (beef, swine, and/or sheep)
- 1 keep/cull classes with performance records - team activity
- evaluation class (feeder cattle, frame/muscle)
Previous State 4-H Livestock Evaluation Results:
- 2018 (pdf)
- 2017 (pdf)
- 2016 (pdf)
- 2015 (pdf)
- 2014 (pdf) and Averages/Results in Graphs
- 2013 (pdf) and Averages/Results in Graphs
- 2012 (pdf)
- 2011 (pdf)
- 2010 (pdf)
- 2009 (pdf)
- 2008 (pdf)