- Recognized by the American Dairy Science Association for the number of manuscripts I published in and reviewed for the Journal of Dairy Science over the last three years (2013).
- Florida Agricultural Experiment Station LEAD21 Fellow (2010). Recipient of the Leadership Development for the 21st Century Award Fellowship from the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station.
- University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship award to recognize a
distinguished record of research and scholarship expected to lead to continuing distinction
in the field (2009)
- Marquis Who’s Who in the USA (2009)
- Department of Animal Sciences nominee for the College of Agricultural Sciences Graduate Teacher and Adviser of the year award (2008)
- American Dairy Science Association, Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc. Forage Award. For significant research contribution in the areas of forage production, processing, storage and utilization (2007).
- Graduate Student Mentor of the Year. Awarded by the Department of Animal Sciences Graduate Student Association, University of Florida (2006).
- Award for the best research paper presented to the Animal Nutrition Session at the 45th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Animal Production (1994).
- Distinction award for outstanding performance in the Animal and Forage Science M.S. Program, University of Reading, UK (1990)
- Zard prize for the Outstanding Animal Science B.S. Student. University of Ibadan, Nigeria (1987).
- Ph.D. Scholarship, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, United Kingdom (1992)
- M.S. Scholarship, Overseas Development Administration United Kingdom and the World Council of Churches (1990)
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the honor society of Agriculture (2005 to date)
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society (2004 to date)
- Recognized for contributions to the progress of minority students by Beta Eta Sigma, the Black honor society (2004)
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Women’s Leadership Award. Received by my Ph.D. student, Susan Chikagwa-Malunga (2008) to signify her potential as a scientist and as a leader.
- Robert F. Barnes Graduate Student Award. Received by my Ph.D. student, Jamie Foster for presenting the best oral paper at a competition at the Joint International Annual meeting of the American Society of Agronomy, Crops Science Society of America, and the Soils Science Society of America (2006).
- J.P. Fontenot Student Travel Scholarship (2005). Received by my Ph.D. student, Susan Chikagwa-Malunga for the best graduate student abstract at the American Society of Animal Science Southern Section meeting (2004).