Dr. Ilaria Capua
Preeminent Professor & Director of the One Health Center of Excellence for Research and Training
As the new director of One Health, Dr. Capua plans to expand the outlook of the center beyond the boundaries of biomedical disciplines. “The One Health concept in the biomedical disciplines is already up and running,” she said. “The veterinary, medical and agricultural communities are already working together, and this collaboration should be fostered and enhanced because there is much more to do.” However, she believes that the time is ripe to expand the One Health vision to other disciplines, and she intends to use her breadth of vision, acquired during her years serving as a member of Parliament, to facilitate a wider interaction between experts in diverse fields. “UF is the ideal place to move this project forward, given the enormous wealth in diversity and expertise on campus. I am convinced that completely novel ideas will come to light that will lead to new approaches for addressing health challenges across the globe.”
Dr. Capua has recently dedicated herself to bringing about an interdisciplinary effort in maintaining and enhancing the One Health concept here at the University of Florida. After focusing much of her academic and professional careers to animal health and research into zoonotic diseases, Dr. Capua led efforts to quell the 1999 – 2000 avian influenza outbreak by coming up with novel strategies that’d then eventually become official legislation in the EU. Her research has led her to advocate for the increased openness in the sharing of virus sequences, so that many would have a better understanding of animal and human infections. The fundamental aspect of Dr. Capua’s research has been to develop strategies to protect the health in both mankind and animal-kind.
Department of Animal Sciences
and Emerging Pathogens Institute
University of Florida
2055 Mowry Road
Gainesville, FL 32611
Phone: (352) 294-8465
EPI profile page
- 2007: Ph.D. (Public Health, Veterinary Hygiene and Hygiene of Animal Production – Avian Influenza: Review on Epidemiology and Aspects of Pathogenesis and Control), University of Padova, Padova, Italy
- 1991: Ph.D. (Animal Health and Hygiene of Animal Breeding and Production), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
- 1989: DVM, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Academic Positions Since Final Degree:
- 2016 – Present: Preeminent Professor at the University of Florida
- 2013-2018: Visiting Professor, University of Glasgow, Center for Virus Research
- 2013: University Qualification as Professor in Infectious Diseases of Animals (Veterinary School) and as Full Professor in Microbiology (Medical School) by Italian University Assessment Board
- 2002 – Present: Guest Lecturer at the University of Florida; University of Pennsylvania; University of Maryland; University of North Carolina; Royal Swedish Academy; Utrecht University; University of Ghent; University of Vienna; University of Tokyo; University of Georgia; Swedish Veterinary Institute; National Veterinary Institute of Pulawi, Poland
- 1998 – 1999/2000 – 2002: Contract Lecturer in Avian Pathology at the University of Padua, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- 1995 – 1997: Lectures on viral diseases in the framework of the course “Infectious Diseases of Domestic Animals”, University of Teramo, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Publications (PubMed)
Professional Service and Awards
- Honorary Academic Member of the Academy of Georgophiles.
- Member of the International Severe Acute Respiratory and Emerging Infectious Consortium (ISARIC) - Advisory Board
Member of the EFSA Panel on Animal Health and Animal Welfare.
- Member of the OFFLU Working Group on Human Interface Issues of Animal Influenza.
- Senior Policy Advisor to the Director, National Center for Zoonotic Vector-borne and Enteric Diseases, CDC Atlanta, USA.
- Member of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group to the WHO Global Influenza Program.
- Stream leader (Stream 1: Human animal interface and emergence of new pandemic viruses) for WHO's Global Research Agenda on Influenza.
- Welcome Trust Advisory Group on Influenza research
Chairman of the Executive Committee of the OIE / FAO Network on Animal Influenza (OFFLU).
- Member of the Advisory Group to the EU Commissioner for Research on the EU 7 the Framework Program in the area "Food, Agriculture and Biotechnology".
- Member of the Networking Executive Committee of the US Centers of Excellence on Avian Influenza funded by NIH / NIAID.
- Member of the European Food Safety Authority on Animal Health and Animal Welfare..
- OIE Working Groups for the Revision of the Chapters of the OIE Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals and member of "Ad hoc" Working Groups
Bocconi University International Advisory Council
- International Severe Acute Respiratory and Emerging Infection Consortium (ISARIC)
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
- National Center for Zoonotic Vector-borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta