State 4-H Contest: April 22, 2023, Gainesville
- 4-H/FFA Meats Evaluation Clinic & Practice, January 27-28, 2023
- Am. Meat Science Association Judging Info/Help
- 4-H Judging Section
- Other Meat Judging Resources
- State 4-H Meats Judging Contest, 2022
- Retail ID Pictures and Descriptions (pdf)
(Linked from "Other Meat Judging Resources" page.)
Much of the information learned in Meats Judging is applicable to day to day life, even if the youth pursues a career outside of agriculture. Not only do youth evaluate and compare beef,
pork, and lamb carcasses and their wholesale cuts, but also learn retail cut identification and factors affecting meat quality.
The State 4-H & FFA Meats Judging Contest is held in Gainesville at UF's Meats Science Center. To help prepare for the State contest, a Meats Judging Clinic is offered in January for 4-H and FFA where youth receive instruction andexperience a small practice contest.